Flourless Orange and Almond Cake

So – Stephanie Alexander’s flourless orange and almond cake is a classic. At least in my neck of the woods. It’s perfect – citrusy, sweet, not too heavy – just AMAZING. And the other day I just WANTED one! So I decided to adapt it a little – and it turned out – I have to say – perfectly. Still moist, very firm, and such a good one for the kids’ lunchboxes too!… Delicious with a little paleo cream! And with all the eggs and almond meal, it’s packed with protein so will keep you fuller for longer – always a good thing!

Orange and Almond Cake (1)

Ingredients

2 whole oranges

300g almond meal

6 eggs

100g coconut syrup

1 tsp baking soda

Method

Cover the oranges in water in a saucepan and boil for about 2 hours. Keep topping up when necessary and go and relax, check your emails etc… in the meantime.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line the bottom of a 24cm springform pan with baking paper.

Lightly beat the eggs.

Blend the eggs and oranges (quarter them first) thoroughly in a food processor.

Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor, again blending thoroughly.

Pour mixture into the lined tin and bake for roughly an hour.

Enjoy! – x.

Comments

1. Juliana says

Hi. New to your blog. This recipe seems so easy and delicious! One question- did you take the skin out of the oranges before you boil them? If not, did you process the oranges with the skin on with the eggs? Thanks!

• Carmen says

Hi Juliana, no leave the skin on the whole time!! That’s why they take so long to boil… the skin needs to be nice and soft, and it all goes in the processor (maybe chopped in half) =)

2. Eva says

Hi Carmen, dying to try this recipe, but I don’t know anywhere that sells coconut syrup. Could you suggest a replacement? Stevia, coconut oil, coconut milk? Thank you

3. Emma says

I was so excited to try this recipe and I finally got the chance to this afternoon! Unfortunately it wasn’t quite the cake I had dreamed it would be. The result was picture-perfect, and as mentioned the texture was right on, dense and moist without being soggy, so for that alone I found this recipe to be worthwhile because texture can be tricky in Paleo baking. But one of the problems I often have in Paleo baking is that the final product comes out too “eggy,” and I found that to be true here. Personally I was also hoping this cake would have a much sharper orange flavor; I thought it was kind of mild but maybe I was just too distracted by the egginess. (Just as an aside, I also poked holes in my cake while warm and brushed coconut syrup on it for an extra kick.) Honestly, though, I’m going to make a few tweaks and try this cake out again, because even though it didn’t come out exactly as I had hoped, I still enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing!

• Carmen says

Hi Emma, thanks for the reply. Interestingly mine are not too ‘eggy,’ I know what you mean by that – a good trick can be adding in a little orange rind for that extra citrusyness!

4. beth says

Can you repost this recipe for us who failed our tests on the metric system? i.e. C°~> F° and g ~> cups & cm ~> inches? It would be most helpful!

5. Sandy says

Are the oranges peeled before boiling or is the entire orange literally tossed into food processor after boiling? Thanks.

• Carmen says

Hi Talitha, no is the short answer! Coconut flour is very difficult to substitute, you could try with ⅓ of the coconut flour though… Do you have a nut allergy?

• Carmen says

Hi Donalda, almond meal is definitely best but you can try hazelnut meal or any other nut meal or flour :)

Trackbacks

1. […] 13. Flourless Orange and Almond Cake This is one of the simplest Paleo desserts on our list, and it only uses a handful of ingredients. The orange flavor comes from oranges of course, and one thing you’ll soon notice about Paleo is that it always uses the natural source of a flavor, nothing artificial. The almond comes from almond meal used to replace the flour that most cakes use. Some eggs, coconut syrup, and a bit of baking soda and this is ready for the oven. This has a mild flavor, so it can be topped or eaten with other foods and it won’t overpower them. […]

2. […] 24. Orange and Almond Cake This cake contains two whole oranges in it, so you’ll get your Vitamin C needs met for the day. The other ingredients don’t slog down the goodness of the oranges, and include coconut syrup, almond meal, and eggs. The almond flavor comes from the almond meal, no other almonds are used in this. This means it will have a hint of almond, and not be overwhelmingly like almonds. This is a great cake to use as a base for other toppings, like a Paleo friendly frosting, or with a Paleo ice cream to have cake and ice cream. […]

Your thoughts on this recipe...